Wednesday, January 28, 2009

i love i love i love

I love John Waters and his strangely bizarre and beautiful movies. The visuals in his movies are so ugly beautiful, my favorite kind of beautiful. I don't know what got me thinking about him specifically today but he's on my mind and I wanted to say something. He creates these bizarre worlds that are lewd and crude but so mesmerizing. I think it's what I'm trying to do with my own work. Maybe not as lewd or crude but surely bizarre and mesmerizing. Occasionally I wish I lived inside one of his movies but only for a bit. I don't think I could dwell there too long.



My friend Christian Campos makes really amazing work and he has cited John Waters as an influence. Last year he was in a painting class and each week a different student showed a film that was an influence in their work and he showed Pink Flamingos. That caught my attention and when I saw his work I fell in love with it. I wish he had a website, I will beg him to start one. These are a few images I took from his facebook account. I'm in the middle of text messaging him to make sure it's okay that I feature these pics. Keep an eye out for him. He's going to do amazing things!

No comments: