Monday, March 28, 2011

Truly truly truly outrageous...

I was recently invited to participate in a nearby show where artists were asked to create an image based on a toy from childhood. I tried to think of things that were influential to me while also thinking of the way I make art. I had been doing so many hair portraits lately so I immediately thought of Jem and The Holograms. Do you remember her? She's truly outrageous. I always imagined myself growing up and dressing exactly like her, in the fluffy skirts with larger than life pink hair and a big star drawn on my face. I think Jem's color palette has definitely had a huge influence on my work. So for this piece I pay tribute to her. It was supposed to be an editioned piece so I started out with a very small run of hair portraits but now I am going into each one and personalizing them. I have including text from the theme song and now I can't get the song out of my head. I would like for the portraits to be displayed together rather than only showing one piece. I am still in the middle of working on them so please excuse the terrible photos of the work lying on the floor.
What toy was influential to you when you were little?

DSCF8883

DSCF8884

DSCF8885

DSCF8887

DSCF8886

DSCF8888

2 comments:

flux biota. said...

:)

Claire said...

LOVED JEM!
I think that's where my passion for pink came from