Sunday, March 27, 2011

Etsyians Among Us

Since I graduated I have been working a lot at home in my studio. Lately I have had a lot of print exchanges due so it has forced me out of my private space and into the printmaking studio at school. I'm lucky to still be able to use the shop every once in a while when I really need it.
I was nervous at first to start working around people again but once I did I was reminded of why I love printmaking so much in the first place. The need for a shop helps create a community. When I work at home I make all kind of decisions about my work in a bubble. No one is around to give their input. At a shop, there is always someone who is willing to take a look at what you are doing and give an opinion. That's how I met Hesper. We were both working quietly on our own stuff but I was freaking out about potentially making a mistake on my print so I called her over to take a look. She gave me some great input and after that I was much more comfortable about what I was doing.
I complimented her handmade bag and discovered that she has her own Etsy shop where she makes bags out of up-cycled fabrics. I love the different styles that she makes and the materials are beautiful. Check out Subversive Seamstress for much more.





And if you are having trouble with your own work and feel like you're working in a bubble go find someone who is willing to step in and say if a color is wrong or a line is not working. It can make all the difference!

1 comment:

Jessica Robles said...

oh man, you should see her paintings! shes awesome!