Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More Houses, more Birthday Cake!



Yesterday I almost left the studio and went for a bike ride.  I'm so glad I stayed because I made two more houses and came up with lots of new ideas for art making!  Maybe I was being lazy in one way by not going for a ride but it certainly made me productive in a different way. So... to laziness! 
I'm super excited about my new birthday piece.  I want to take a big bite out of that cake.  And since I sold my greenhouse I thought I would make another one.  The flowers are a bit different from the last.  This one is called Greenhouse Garden House.
I was in the critique forum on etsy and I got some feedback on the houses and I'm curious about your opinion on this.  A person said they would not know what to do with the house.  I always assumed these little houses would live in a frame of some sort but maybe that's not so obvious.  What do you think?  Do I need to start photographing them in a frame?  I was toying with the idea of selling these already in shadowboxes but that would mean I would have to raise the price.  Any advice from sellers?
Thanks in advance!  Now I'm off to draw plants...

6 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

They wouldn't know what to do with art? That's very sad.

You can put it in a frame. You can look at it and feel good and surprised and you can tell it all your secrets. You can think about new things from looking at it.

Adorable pieces, I love the vintage-y feel.
You could make a house with a red bike outside it! Yay! :-)

Bedroom Talk said...

Definitely put these pieces in shadow boxes to get a full effect of all the detail you put into it :)

i second you on the laziness lol

SARAH said...

it couldn't hurt to show a picture of them displayed in a frame. i think of these pieces as modern-day doilies and if i were to purchase one (which i may just do after i get my next paycheck, wink wink), i would display it on a little bedside table.

A Beautiful Party said...

thanks so much for the advice. my digital camera is broken and i keep putting off asking others for help. i think i'm going to have to finally ask!

Mom said...

These are really very, very nice.

Aine Scannell said...

Hi there "a beautiful party" BTW is that your mom sending you a comment to your blog ??!! How sweet !!

I have been completely distracted reading through your blog and then when I saw this post I had to comment - its just that I am so into the symbol of the house in my artwork as well. There are certainly connections between your art making and mine. I am also nuts about printmaking.
I am really having a good time here going through your blog. Hope the money situations improved. Also I just participated in Anita Jungs printmaking Installation at the Impact Printmaking Conference,

Take care . Wish I knew your real first name.

Aine